Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

'Gulzar' Dehlvi: Imam-e-Urdu

By Sumit Paul, New Age Islam 12 June 2024 Since my mother tongue is Dari (Afghan variant of Persian) and I mostly converse in Urdu in India as the masses, even classes, don't understand Dari or Persian, people often mistake me for a Muslim. Even my signature is in Persian. This often makes me wonder why a language is associated with a specific community or religion? Recently, when I quoted an Urdu couplet of Gulzar Dehlvi, a learned friend of mine who understands Urdu, asked me, Ye Sher Kis Ka Hai? I told him that Anand Mohan Zutshi 'Gulzar' Dehlvi wrote it. Flabbergasted, he didn't know that 'Gulzar' Dehlvi's actual name was Anand Mohan Zutshi. June 12 is his 4th death anniversary. A true-blue Delhite, 'Gulzar' Dehlvi was a poet par excellence who once said, "Dars-e-Urdu Zabaan Deta Hoon/ Ahle-Iimaan Pe Jaan Deta Hoon/ Main Ajab Hoon Imaam Urdu Ka/ But-Kade Mein Azaan Deta Hoon" (I teach Urdu language/ I'm faithful to the believers/ I'm a strange custodian of Urdu/ I recite an Azaan- the call to prayer- at a temple). A Kashmiri, his father, grandfather and uncles were scholars, poets and connoisseurs of Urdu, Persian and Arabic. 'Gulzar' Dehlvi himself knew quite a few languages and was a polyglot. His command of Urdu, Persian and English was admirable but he admitted, "Go Kai Zabanon Se Rahi Nisbat Meri/ Dil Ko Bhaati Rahi Urdu Hi" (Though I was associated with many languages, it was Urdu that appealed to me the most). His poetry was intellectual poetry (Zehni Shayari). Just an example will prove this, "Mir Ke Baad Ghalib-o-Iqbal / Ik Sada, Ik Sadi Mein Guzri Hai" (Mir, Ghalib, Iqbal/ Three centuries, three voices). I remember my Pakistani friend Arshia Jameel cherry-picking this couplet of 'Gulzar' Dehlvi for her M Phil in Urdu poetry. One of his couplets is really thought-stirring: Jahan Insaaniyat Vahshat Ke Haathon Zabh Hoti Hai/ Jahan Tazleel Hai Jeena, Wahan Behtar Hai Mar Jaana (Where humanity is slaughtered at the hands of extremism/extremity/ Where existence is indignity, it's better to die). He was a master of Qita (a brief poem of four lines like a Rubai): Zindagi Tere Qadam Se Hai/ Zeest Ka Lutf Tere Gham Se Hai/ Mujh Ko Firdaus Ki Zaroorat Kya/ Meri Jannat Toh Tere Dam Se Hai (Life exists because of your presence/ The joy of life is associated with your pain/ Why should I long for paradise/ My heaven is because of you). His romanticism had a sensual appeal: Hum Se Poochho Toh Zulm Behtar Hai/ Inn Haseenon Ki Meharbani Se/ Aur Bhi Kya Qayamat Aayegi/ Poochhna Hai Teri Jawani Se (If you ask me, I'll say, torture is better than the grace of these damsels/ Let's see, if a greater doom/condemnation comes/ I need to ask your youthfulness). In these times, when Urdu is pigeonholed into a specific community, people like 'Gulzar' Dehlvi with a 'Hindu' name may give a glimmer of hope. In his own words, "Aashna Hoon Zubaan-e-Urdu Ki Rag-Rag Se / Maine Sirf Padhi Nahin, Parastish Ki Hai Iss Zabaan Ki" (I'm thoroughly acquainted with Urdu/ I didn't just read it, I worshipped it). We need to adore Urdu for its survival. ----- 'Gulzar' Dehlvi Breathed His Last On June 12, 2020. ----- A regular columnist for New Age Islam, Sumit Paul is a researcher in comparative religions, with special reference to Islam. He has contributed articles to the world's premier publications in several languages including Persian. URl: https://www.newageislam.com/spiritual-meditations/gulzar-dehlvi-imam-urdu/d/132492 New Age Islam, Islam Online, Islamic Website, African Muslim News, Arab World News, South Asia News, Indian Muslim News, World Muslim News, Women in Islam, Islamic Feminism, Arab Women, Women In Arab, Islamophobia in America, Muslim Women in West, Islam Women and Feminism

0 comments: