Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

America's Middle Class Can't Take Much More Punishment Economic Realities Are Killing Our Era of Fantasy Politics,

Current affairs
America's Middle Class Can't Take Much More Punishment
Economic Realities Are Killing Our Era of Fantasy Politics
By Matt Taibbi, RollingStone.com
Posted July 23, 2008

A few weeks back, I got a call from someone in the office of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders. Sanders wanted to tell me about an effort his office had recently made to solicit information about his constituents' economic problems. He sent out a notice on his e-mail list asking Vermont residents to "tell me what was going on in their lives economically." He expected a few dozen letters at best -- but got, instead, more than 700 in the first week alone. Some, like the excerpt posted above, sounded like typical tales of life for struggling single-parent families below the poverty line. More unnerving, however, were the stories Sanders received from people who held one or two or even three jobs, from families in which both spouses held at least one regular job -- in other words, from people one would normally describe as middle-class. For example, this letter came from the owner of his own commercial cleaning service:

My 90-year-old father in Connecticut has recently become ill and asked me to visit him. I want to drop everything I am doing and go visit him, however, I am finding it hard to save enough money to add to the extra gas I'll need to get there. I make more than I did a year ago and I don't have enough to pay my property taxes this quarter for the first time in many years. They are due tomorrow.

http://newageislam.com/america-s-middle-class-can-t-take-much-more-punishment/current-affairs/d/299


0 comments: