Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Girls’ niqab assassinates their childhood, forces them toward early womanhood, Islamic Society, NewAgeIslam.com

Islamic Society
Girls’ niqab assassinates their childhood, forces them toward early womanhood
Yemen Times Staff Taiz Bureau

Eleven-year-old Ruba plays on the streets and alleys with her peers, whose clean, adorned hair flows uncovered down their backs while she wears her black school clothes (an abaya) and covers both her hair and face with a niqab.

Asked why she’s dressed this way, she replies, “My father oppresses me and obliges me to wear the niqab, which gives me a continuous headache and difficulty breathing when I’m studying in class.”

Ruba admits that she sometimes must remove it in class, but then she must put it on again as soon as she leaves school for fear of her father because, as she explains, “My father won’t allow me to go to school unless I wear it.”

Nine-year-old Hajar likewise is forced to wear the niqab by her father, who’s considered a conservative and religious man. He says he must do this out of worry for others’ opinion about his daughter.

http://newageislam.com/girls%E2%80%99-niqab-assassinates-their-childhood,-forces-them-toward-early-womanhood/islamic-society/d/673


0 comments: