Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Karachi: An Encounter with a Street Child, Islamic Society, NewAgeIslam.com


Islamic Society
14 Aug 2011, NewAgeIslam.Com

Karachi: An Encounter with a Street Child


By Amber Darr
August 7, 2011
“There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children” — Nelson Mandela
I was waiting for the traffic to start moving on Karachi’s Khayaban-e-Shaheen last Saturday when my attention was drawn by gentle yet persistent knocking on my car window. Expecting a begging child, I automatically dived for spare change. However, the face on the other side of the window was not that of a child but of a young man’s: “Baji, havn’t you recognised me? I am Shah Nawaz”, he said (in Urdu). “Baji, I have seen you after a long time, please take these flowers from me”, he continued. He would not accept payment, but I insisted. Within seconds our encounter was over, but Shah Nawaz’s beaming face remained with me as we drove on, not as a happy memory but as a painful shaft of regret for not being able to rescue him from the streets when I had first met him more than 10 years ago.

0 comments: