Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sufi love: Ishq-majazi to Ishq-haqiqi, Islamic Ideology , NewAgeIslam.com

Islamic Ideology
Sufi love: Ishq-majazi to Ishq-haqiqi

This emotion is beautifully expressed by the famous Sufi poetess Rabia-Al-Basri: "If I love thee for fear of hell/Put me in the fires of hell/If I love thee for the sake of heaven/Deprive me of bliss for all time/My love for thee is thine alone/I yearn for thy communion / Withhold not thy everlasting beauty from me." In describing Ishq Majazi Punjabi Sufi poets have used the lovelore of Heer, daughter of the mighty Sayal clan and Ranjha, the scion of Takht Hazara.

In Ishq Haqiqi Heer symbolises man and Ranjha, God. Sultan Bahu says that Ishq Majazi is the flower and Ishq Haqiqi is its fruit.

Bulle Shah thus describes Heer and Ranjha's metaphorical union: "Yesterday I was away from Ranjha / Today I have become one with my Lord / Friends do not call me Heer / Call me Ranjha."Often the Sufis in Wajd (trance), wearing a long skirt and a cylindrical cap as shown in the movie Jodha Akbar danced, saying : "O physician / Come and feel my pulse / I am dying / My Lord has made me dance to exhaustion.

http://newageislam.com/sufi-love--ishq-majazi-to-ishq-haqiqi-/islamic-ideology/d/114


0 comments: