Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2024

Himayat Ali Shayar: A Profound and Principled Poet

By Sumit Paul, New Age Islam 17 July 2024 Aurangabad in Maharashtra has always been my favourite city because it's the only city in Sooba-e-Maharashtra where Urdu is still spoken, albeit with a Hyderabadi Dakhni tone, and also understood by the Muslims. So, it's natural that I'm drawn to this city for its Urdu culture and language. A city of Siraj Aurangabadi (1715-1763), Wali Mohammed Wali (1667-1707), Azad Bilgrami (1704-1786), Sikandar Ali Wajd, Waheed Akhtar, Abdur Rauf Urooj, Bashar Nawaz, to name but a few, Aurangabad produced a galaxy of very fine Urdu poets. Yet another gem of a poet was Himayat Ali Shayar (1926-2019) who was born in Aurangabad on July 14, 1926 and breathed his last on July 15, 2019 in Toronto. He migrated to Pakistan in 1951 and established himself as a leading poet-lyricist. I met him in Pakistan and Toronto and he'd always meet me with warmth and affection as he could relate to me because of my Maharashtra-connexion and Poona being quite close to Aurangabad. Whenever I'd meet him, I'd request him to recite his two famous couplets: IssJahan Mein Apna Saya Bhi / Roshni Ho Toh Saath Chalta Hai (Even your shadow accompanies you when there's light) and TujhSe Vafa Na Ki Toh Kisi Se Vafa Na Ki / KisTarahIntiqaamLiya Apne Aap Se (If I didn't love you, I couldn't love anyone / How mercilessly I took a revenge on myself). But his immortal couplet is: BadanPePairhan-E-Khaak Ke Siva Kiya Hai/ Mere Alaav Mein Ab Raakh Ke Siva Kya Hai (What's left on the body barring an apparel of dust ?/ My smouldering fire only has ashes and nothing else). Elsewhere he wrote, "KisLiye Keeje Kisi Gum-Gashta Jannat Ki Talaash/ Jab Ki Mitti Ke Khilaunon Se Bahal Jaate Hain Log"(Why should you look for a lost heaven ?/ When mere earthen toys are enough for humans). He told me that Rene Descartes' famous statement in Latin Cogito, Ergo Sum (I think, therefore, I'm ) inspired him to write, "Main Sochta Hoon IsliyeShayad Main Zinda Hoon / MumkinHai Ye Gumaan Haqeeqat Ka Gyaan De"(I think, therefore, I'm still alive/ May this lurking doubt bestow real wisdom on me). He was immensely successful as a poet-lyricist and penned first few evergreen songs in the cinema of Pakistan. Despite his huge success in the film industry of Pakistan, he left cinema and also stopped writing songs and screenplays for the movies. Like the Indian poet-lyricists Shakeel, Sahir, Kaifi, Majrooh and Shailendra, he too got disenchanted with writing lyrics for films. While his Indian coevals didn't give up completely, Himayat Ali bade farewell to cinema and devoted himself to writing poetry and autobiography. He was a principled man. Himayat Ali Shayar is the only poet in Urdu literary history who wrote an autobiography titled "Aaina Sar Aaina." Over 400 pages, the autobiography is composed of as many as 3,500 couplets. When I find people in India not knowing much of this excellent poet-lyricist, I feel sad from within. He once aptly said, "ShayarKi ShayadYahi Qismat Hai / Ghar Walon Ko Bhi Uss Ki Qadra Nahin Hai" (This is the fate of a poet / Even his close ones don't care for him). So very true. But we care for you Himayat Ali Saheb. ----- Himayat Ali ShayarWas Born On July 14 And Departed On July 15 ----- A regular columnist for New Age Islam, Sumit Paul is a researcher in comparative religions, with special reference to Islam. He has contributed articles to the world's premier publications in several languages including Persian. URL: https://newageislam.com/spiritual-meditations/himayatshayar-profound-principled-poet/d/132726 New Age Islam, Islam Online, Islamic Website, African Muslim News, Arab World News, South Asia News, Indian Muslim News, World Muslim News, Women in Islam, Islamic Feminism, Arab Women, Women In Arab, Islamophobia in America, Muslim Women in West, Islam Women and Feminism

0 comments: