Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FROM PAKISTAN, WITH LOVE: Thank you, Bollywood, Islamic Culture, NewAgeIslam.com

Islamic Culture
FROM PAKISTAN, WITH LOVE: Thank you, Bollywood
By MONI MOHSIN

Nonetheless, I learnt much. I watched with interest the portrayal of social tensions and religious differences. I revelled in the music and the poetry. I absorbed the fashions, the social mores, the manners, the customs. Thanks to Bollywood, I learnt that there were taxis in India, that women drove, attended college and that some people had nice houses and, equally important, some not.

Meanwhile, since the Pakistani film industry was in the doldrums, there wasn’t much of note crossing over from our side. The exceptions were Pakistani television serials. When visiting Delhi I’d regularly be asked by friends to bring videos of “Tanhanyian” “Dhoop Kinara” and “Ankahi”. But I guess their outreach was limited and the sorts of people who got to see these already knew that Pakistani women attended college.

http://newageislam.com/from-pakistan,-with-love--thank-you,-bollywood/islamic-culture/d/209



0 comments: